The chateau in Kynžvart was originally a Baroque Residence but the Austrian Chancellor Metternich had it rebuilt into an Empire mansion between 1821 and 1836.
The chateau was designed by the Italian architect Pietro Nobile. The building contains one of the most valuable libraries in the Czech Republic. In 1828, Chancellor Metternich initiated construction of a museum here. The exhibitions in the museum offer a wide range valuable collections, from coins, natural artifacts, historical and technical curiosities and manuscripts to ancient Egyptian artifacts, historical weapons and dozens of artworks. Visits are by guided tour only.
How to get there: Direct train from Mariánské Lázně