Charles Cross - Karlův kříž
The cross stands above the town's market hall. This is an authentic historic attraction visited by many prominent personalities who were eager to take in the view of the valley that Mariánské Lázně occupies..
This location is the most frequently depicted view on the historical engravings. The founder of Mariánské Lázně, Karel Reitenberger, had this cross erected as an 'eternal light for spa guests', according to his own words. Reitenberger had many foes in the abbey due to his generosity in supporting the building of Mariánské Lázně. In 1827 he was forced by his opponents to resign, and went into exile in Wilten, Tyrol. He lived in the Tyrol for 33 years, hoping in vain to see Mariánské Lázně once again. His arch enemies Koppman and Mahr, who ruled the abbey after him, had the Charles Cross removed while Reitenberger still lived, and replaced it with a 'cholera cross. In the 1970s, the 'cholera cross' was replaced by a simple wooden cross fixed on a painted metal base.