Planá u Mariánských Lázní
The first written record of Planá dates back to 1251. The town was founded on an important trade route leading from Nuremberg to Cheb and further on into Bohemia.
The original village lay at the base of Bohuš Hill and gathered around the Romanesque Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, the oldest preserved historical building in Planá. The oldest part of the town was probably built during the 13th and 14th centuries. In the early 1400s Planá was a comparatively large town for those times, having a square and several contiguous streets. The town was also surrounded by moats and fortifications. The Gothic Assumption Church was built in a corner formed by the southwestern walls. The square with its many reconstructed historical buildings is a prominent feature of the town.
Planá has some excellent sports facilities. In summer, visitors are free to use a natural swimming pool, tennis courts and other facilities. Horse lovers will also find attractions to please them. The local airport provides a growing range of services involving sports flying for aviation enthusiasts.
The town has recently turned into a fine arts hotspot. A number of renowned artists have exhibited their masterpieces in the local private gallery and in the Municipal Gallery, located in the church tower. The gallery is open to the public from March to September. A collection of contemporary art has been assembled here thanks to contributions from various artists. This collection will be exhibited in the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. The municipal cinema has regular screenings and several other cultural events are held annually.
How to get there: Direct Train from Mariánské Lázně, by car (17 minutes)