A Jewish enclave existed in Mariánské Lázně from around 1824 and by 1861 it had its own hospital with a small chapel. The Jewish cemetery close to the road to Velká Hleďsebe was founded in 1875. By 1930 it had been extended and is still used today.
Before this cemetery was created local Jews had been buried in various local cemeteries in Drmoul, Tachov and Kynžvart. During the so-called Crystal Night in November 1938 local Nazis burned the synagogue, destroyed the Jewish cemetery and removed all the headstones from the graves. In the second half of the 20th century two headstones from the similarly affected Jewish cemetery in Kynžvart and many from Tachov were placed in the destroyed cemetery in Velká Hleďsebe. Within this cemetery are the graves of the founder of the local Research Institute for Balneology, Professor Enoch Heinrich Kisch (1841–1918) and the German philosopher and anti-fascist, Professor Theodor Lessing (1872–1933), who was shot by the Nazis in Mariánské Lázně on the 30th August 1933.
Open daily 9am to 5pm, closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays, in winter to 4pm