In the years 1900–1902, St. Vladimír's Orthodox Church replaced an Orthodox chapel which had been operating in the Town Hall since 1878. The orthodox priest Nikolaj N. Pisarevský together with local doctors undertook several fund-raising campaigns among the Serbian and Russian spa guests in order to raise money for a new Orthodox Church. Later, the architect Professor Nikolaj V. Sultanov (1850–1908) drew up the plans for the building, which were carried out by the well-known builder Gustav Wiedermann of Františkovy Lázně, who built similar Orthodox churches in Františkovy Lázně and Karlovy Vary. The floor plan is in the shape of a Greek cross whose central square is supported by the side apses. A richly decorated majolica iconostasis, created in Kuzněcovo u Tveru for the World Exhibition in Paris in 1900, dominates the interior of the church. The musical bells were commandeered during the First World War. During the Second World War, the church was used as a storehouse and was subsequently reopened in the second half of the 20th century.
Ruská Street 347/9 (Russian Street)
353 01 Mariánské Lázně
Tel: + 420 354 625 010, + 420 603 573 874
|May to October||daily 9.30 – 12 am, 1– 5 pm|
|November to April||daily 9.30 – 11.30 am, 2 – 4 pm|
Sunday from 10 pm
20 CZK or 1 Euro
On Sunday 2.11.2014 at 8 p.m. the operation of the Singing fountain will be festively drawn to a close.